Good to Go Maintenance

Fire Damage Restoration | Reclaim Your Long Island Home

Good to Go Maintenance offers Long Island fire damage restoration

A house fire is one of the most devastating incidents that can occur to a family. Possessions are lost; normal living patterns are disrupted; and structural, internal damages to the home are extensive. Homeowner’s initial thoughts are often centered on fixing the problem immediately—ignoring larger safety issues for rapid, cheap fixes. Here at Good to Go Maintenance, we understand the urgency felt to quickly restore fire damaged structures. This is why our staff has extensive expertise with Long Island fire damage restoration, combining experience and skill to produce quality restorations that are swift—and most importantly—safe.

What Can Cause a House Fire?

When preventing a household fire, knowledge is power. Listed below are some of the most common causes of household fires, which should be monitored closely.

  • Cooking: When preparing meals using the oven, microwave, or stovetop, it is imperative that food is supervised closely to prevent the risk of an accidental fire. It is especially important to watch food closely when cooking with grease, because grease is highly flammable, burns at an extremely hot temperature, and can be difficult to put out if flames appear. If a grease fire occurs, never use water to douse the flames—instead cover the fire with a metal lid, or use a fire extinguisher.

Grease fires are a common cause of household fires

  • Space Heaters: When using a space heater of any type (electric, fuel burning, or wood burning), it is essential to carefully read operating directions and inspect equipment beforehand to catch any faulty parts, such as loose connections or cracked components. Most fires related to space heaters are caused by objects igniting that were placed too close to the heater. To help prevent these fires, leave at least three feet of space between any objects and the heater. Additionally, heaters should be turned off when unattended, and annual heater inspections should be performed for maintenance purposes.
  • Faulty Wiring/Electrical Problems: Many house fires occur due to faulty wiring or overloaded outlets. If you notice a spark when plugging in an appliance, your electrical wiring may need to be replaced, in which an electrician should be called for inspection. It is also important to never overload a circuit—the consequences ranging from a blown fuse to a damaging fire.   
  • Cigarettes: In order to prevent a house fire due to lit cigarettes, it is essential to never smoke in bed, which can easily ignite a mattress or blanket. It is also important to monitor where cigarette ashes are being placed. A single cigarette ash could potentially light a common household object, like a magazine, on fire. When smoking inside a house, an ashtray should be utilized, and flammable objects should be kept away.

Fire Safety Tips

In order to avert a fire, preventative steps can be taken.

  • Smoke Detectors: Fire detectors should be placed within every level of a house and tested monthly.
  • Flammable Liquids: Flammable liquids like paints and adhesives should be kept away from heat sources and stored in cool, ventilated areas.
  • Natural Gas: If your home uses natural gas, it is vital to have your pipes inspected regularly to spot buildup, leaking valves, or faulty parts.
  • House Material: Use material that is fire retardant in your home to slow the spread of flames, like dual-paned glass, gypsum board, and brick.

Long Island Fire Damage and Restoration

After a house fire has occurred, many dangers are still present within a home. Carcinogenic gases can remain in the air, caused by the burning of plastics, foams, synthetic fabrics, and materials containing asbestos. The structural foundation of a home is also undermined, leading to serious problems with support, which are often caused by significant expansion due to the heat of a fire. Charred structures also pose a safety issue and must be safely removed. Other problems include electrical failures as well. Any area in a home that has been filled with flame or smoke is likely to have sustained some electrical damage, which can include: corrosion, problems with short-circuiting, damaged breakers, wiring, and fuse boxes.

At Good to Go Maintenance, we understand that fire restoration is a process, and we will help guide you through every step of the way. One of the first priorities in fire restoration is to clean soot and ash damage, as well as deodorize a living space. This can be accomplished through a detailed cleaning and with the assistance of tools like an ozone machine to remove odor-causing particles from the air. The next step is a detailed inspection of home structures to ensure that any charring or warped features are removed and replaced with fortified materials. Existing structures can also be replaced in exchange for more fire retardant materials, such as reinforced doors or gypsum board drywall.

Don’t let the devastation of a fire compromise your home. With years of experience in Long Island fire damage and restoration, Good to Go Maintenance is ready to provide you with a rapid and safe restoration!     

X